List:       opensolaris-driver-discuss
Subject:    Re: [driver-discuss] OpenSolaris 2008.11 and Solaris 10u6 igb
From:       James Carlson <james.d.carlson () sun ! com>
Date:       2008-12-08 16:08:50

dms dms writes:
> As a test, I took the igb driver from opensolaris 2008.11 and copied it to
> the solaris10 10/08 u6 installation and performed the same backup test, the
> backup then completed successfully.  For whatever reason the Opensolaris igb
> driver appears to resolve this issue.

Yikes.

> I don't know if the issue lies in the
> bacula software application or the driver, or both.
>
> My question is;  is it safe to run the Opensolaris 2008.11 igb driver in a
> Solaris 10/08 u6 x86 installation as is, or does the driver need to be
> compilied on Solaris 10u6?

You need one compiled for Solaris 10.

There are at least two problems here:

  - We support compatibility only in the other direction: things
    compiled by other parties on old Solaris versions are (provided
    that they use only documented interfaces) guaranteed to work on
    new Solaris versions.  The reverse -- compiling on a newer Solaris
    box and running on an older one -- may sometimes work, but has
    never been supported.

  - No compatibility is supported for binaries that are delivered as
    part of the operating system itself.  In other words, the 'igb'
    driver, as an OS-delivered component, must be used on exactly the
    system on which it was installed by packaging/patching.  Copying
    system components between systems -- whether older or newer or
    just with different combinations of patches -- can't be supported
    because OS components typically don't restrict themselves to
    documented interfaces.

All of that is a long way of saying "file a bug and, since this is
S10, follow up with support."

--
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <james.d.carlson@sun.com>