List:       opensolaris-driver-discuss
Subject:    Re: [driver-discuss] [ogb-discuss] Project proposal - Integration
From:       John Plocher <John.Plocher () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2007-12-31 17:17:44

James C. McPherson wrote:
> Plocher wrote:
>> On SX, we currently have a mix of open and closed source
>> components that includes a closed driver for this chipset.
>
> Actually, we do not already have a driver of any sort for
> this chip and card in Open or closed Solaris.

Ahhh - As I said, I wasn't up on the details.  If there is no conflict
with an existing driver, then the only real "ARC"hitectural question
is the Sun/LSI plans - if any.

I would suggest that you send a succinct note to William Franklin at
Sun (the formal liaison between OS.o and Sun) with what you just wrote
and ask him to provide a definitive answer to the question of whether
and when Sun and/or LSI is going to provide an open source driver for
LSI's MegaRAID SAS product for use in OS.o because we have a community
member who wishes to contribute one, and there isn't room for two.

The answer you get will be one of three types:

     No, we/they don't have any plans to do so,
     We/They have not decided, or
     Yes, we/they have a concrete plan in place to do so.

If the latter, I'd expect to see the plan (schedule & commitments...);
without a committed plan, the response devolves into either "we don't
know" or "no" - either of which are a green light for David's mfi driver.

If there *is* a plan to have a LSI-produced open source driver, then
the right response would seem to be to get David involved with LSI so
that we end up with the best of both...

This disconnect seems to be a result of too many people not having a
complete set of clue WRT OpenSolaris.  The answer is not to raise a big
stink, but to patiently find out who is confused and talk with them.

   -John