List:       opensolaris-docs-discuss
Subject:    Re: [docs-discuss] docs integration meeting - 11/11
From:       Alan McClellan <Alan.McClellan () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2008-11-11 18:17:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Minutes from today's meeting:

==========
Attendees: Jim Siwila, Dolores Eccles, Kelly Nishimura, Barbara
Lundquist, Kathy Slattery, Pattie Levinson, Wenling Chen, Alta Elstad,
Kathleen Flaherty, Paul Kasper, Doug Stevenson, Anjana Sriram

*Action item review*

    * Set up meeting to discuss SXCE docs: Kathleen. Still trying to
      determine correct forum for this discussion. Need doc managers
      involved, so can't happen until Diane is back from vacation.

*December Back-to-school*

    * Wenling says target is Dec. effort with Jan. delivery.
    * Would like documentation updates, as applicable.
    * Live CD will be same as Nov. Release.
    * There was a custom version of BTSK in August. Wenling asked if it
      would change for the next BTSK from the version on 2008.11 Live
      CD. Alan poses that we do not change the GSG for the Dec. BTSK.
    * Alan noted the only thing he could think of (off top of his head)
      is that the custom instructions for installing the pre-configured
      VDI might need to be updated. (There were late corrections in
      August version we weren't able to change because of time
      constraints in that release.)
    * Alan to work with Wenling on doc list for BTSK as soon as 2008.11
      released.

*Delivery process review/status*

    * See http://infobot.sfbay/wiki/OpenSolaris/Wiki.jsp
    * Wenling asks about how to extend to external community. Alan and
      Kathleen both said they thought the focus was for internal users
      right now.
    * Paul: Why do we have HTML process? Alan and Kathleen explained
      that that is probably an artifact from our attempt to codify the
      OpenSolaris
      <http://infoshare.sfbay/twiki/bin/view/Main/OpenSolaris> processes
      and some confusion over what "delivery" means. Alan said Paul is
      right, we probably don't need that HTML procedure, since HTML is
      generated via the other two processes (XML/SGML docs procedure and
      wiki docs procedure)
    * Jim: Asks about getting help to script the branding of the wiki
      doc snapshot. Kathy submitted PEC request for help, but that group
      doesn't review requests until next week.
    * Alan said he's working with Peter Fernandez to find help.
    * Alta: suggested ask the .com folks help with resourcing this? Alan
      will pursue that path as well.
    * Kathy: noted that Frank Jennings has transformation process, but
      it requires text files from the wiki and not easy to get those, so
      we thought trying to go directly from Confluence -> HTML was
      simplest path. We're hoping to get a post-processing script to
      apply a brand for posting this snapshot for the .com site.

*Docs community site - prototype comments*

    * See http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/documentation/HomeTest/
    * Alan: framed work to date: driven by audience analysis and inputs
      that should be focused on the community and not on the release.
      Alan noted somewhat contradictory inputs that he needed to clean
      up the page that was too busy with links/navigation points with
      inputs that he shouldn't lose too many links. This iteration tries
      to balance those contradictory inputs. Alan looked at analytics
      for page traffic and tried to retain the most popular links.
    * Paul likes the evolution. Would like to see a link to wiki in the
      quick links.
    * There is a current link to "doc source," and Jim mentioned the
      notion of source is more complicated with wiki docs. Maybe "doc
      source" link should say open-sourced docs.
    * Alan: to revise the how to contribute page to spell out
      contribution models for the different kinds of source (XML, wiki).
      Will see if can make links clear from Quick Start section.

*Wiki doc licensing*

    * New space called OpenSolaris
      <http://infoshare.sfbay/twiki/bin/view/Main/OpenSolaris>
      Information Resources on wikis.sun.com hosting the System Admin
      Guide.
    * Intent is that that document and any other hosted in that wiki
      space be open sourced under the PDL.
    * For this and future wiki docs, will treat as new doc project. Will
      announce via docs-discuss forum that the doc is being worked on,
      with pointers to OSOL docs page describing licensing terms.
    * Will add PDL link to the wiki space.
    * Questions and discussion from Alta and Paul regarding need for an
      SCA for contributions.
    * Alan took action item to follow-up with legal.

*Status*

    *  From Kelly:
          o RC out for external test.
          o Reviewing stopper bugs.
          o Trying to do an RC 1.5 to get bug fixes in so can get more
            testing time.
    * Docs starting to filter in for 2008.11. Alan/Kathleen want to
      remind writers to use the email alias as final confirmation
      content it done/ready. (See email template here:
      http://infobot.sfbay/wiki/OpenSolaris/Wiki.jsp?page=EMailTemplate).

-alan

Alan McClellan
OpenSolaris Documentation Community Manager
#32171
+1 719-352-0993
http://blogs.sun.com/docexchange/