List:       opensolaris-docs-discuss
Subject:    Re: [docs-discuss] [mentoring] If someone wanted to become
From:       Brendan Gregg - Sun Microsystems <brendan () sun ! com>
Date:       2008-02-13 23:22:38

G'Day docs-discuss,

Speaking for the many customers I've worked with, priorities for technical
documentation are:

	1) accuracy
	2) relevance

Style is important too, but I'd be careful to balance it with a focus on
technical content - which is most important.

Another important point is that as a technical writer you should be
prepared to document topics for the first time - ie, the primary source
of documentation.  This will mean a good techincal understanding of the
problem space, including how customers currently achieve tasks and how
new technologies should be used.  This may be best gained if you have
actually been a customer for a number of years.  There will also be
times where source code should be examined for answering deeper questions.

Brendan