List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] c0t0d0 versus c0t${blah}d0 ... and partitions
From:       Edward Ned Harvey <opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris () nedharvey ! com>
Date:       2011-08-30 3:30:07

> From: Peter Tribble [mailto:peter.tribble@gmail.com]
>
> people running current Sun T and X series
> servers ought to know about the HMP.  I didn't until recently, so Oracle
are
> doing a really good job of publicizing it and making it easy to find
> and install.
> Yeah, right. Sufficiently so that I decided to put up a blog entry
describing
> what it is and how to get it:
>
> http://ptribble.blogspot.com/2011/07/oracle-hardware-management-
> pack.html

Hey, for what it's worth - I installed the HMP, and long story short, it
didn't do me any good.  (But it was definitely progress in the right
direction, thank you for suggesting it!)

I've been failing and failing, and finally somebody in the support community
forum put me onto this.  This is a scripted way to do the job the HMP does.
But it's much faster, and I have a certain preference for using the cmd-line
utility instead of the web interface.  But most importantly, IT WORKS!   :-)
So I think this is preferable over the HMP...

When you login to MOS, there's a search field in the upper right, "Search
Knowledge Base."  Paste 6981695 into that field, and only one document came
up.

Skip down to the bottom, click the "Instructions for Workaround"

There was no initial setup required on my system, because it's a standard
system (X4270 without HBA) and one of the included config files was already
correct for my system.  So I'm using that now, and it works perfectly.
Observe:

[root@foo jumpstart_solution062011]# ./slot.sh -a
Oracle.slot.conf/slot.conf.X4270M2-12-PCIe03
disk=c2t5000C50034242B55d0 slot=2
disk=c2t5000C50034242E61d0 slot=11
disk=c2t5000C50034243F75d0 slot=10
disk=c2t5000C500263765B1d0 slot=9