List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] ZFS dedup destroy woes!
From:       Menno <mschepers () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-03-17 9:57:00

[..SNIP..]
> we decided to do just as you did,
> get a truckload of drives and let others fiddle with
> dedup until it's stable.

Agreed, deduplication on ZFS has never been stable enough to use in production and I \
even regret using it in a testlab environment; it just grinds all I/O to a halt \
during "zfs destroy" operations.

I was using it on a 1TB volume, in the end it was filled with 50 VM's. Running hourly \
replication to a backup box. This was running fine for a couple of months, with just \
a few VM's, but when I got around 800GB in the volume it started to sometimes stop \
all I/O during a "zfs destroy tank/vm_testlab@snapshot".. causing all the VM's to \
halt until the "zfs destroy" would finish.

Interrupting a "zfs destroy" is not possible afaik, so you have to wait for it to \
                finish.