List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] eSATA works fine?
From:       Ben Taylor <bentaylor.solx86 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-03-16 0:30:26

Eric Trimble wrote:

> When determining what protocol is spoken over a
> physical connection
> between a host controller and a drive (or other
> peripheral), you look
> for the highest common denominator - thus, a 2.0
> controller will speak
> 2.0 when talking to a 3.0 peripheral, but will speak
> 1.0 when talking to
> a 1.0 peripheral.

So as an example, I have an Intel Motherboard DP35DP
with 5 Sata and 1 E-Sata port.  I  have 2 sata disks
connected to sata ports and an external E-Sata connected
to the E-Sata port.

Works on S10U8 with patches to about a year ago.

When I do an LU to current patches, my current E-Sata
disk disappears with the boot to the new patched environmnet
and I have not been able to force the system to view the disk

> When wondering whether a device is a chipset or a
> physical layer change,
> consider this:  does the device actually change the
> information being
> transported through it, or does it merely change the
> electrical form of
> the message?

Clearly something in the patched OS changed the driver
from refusing to now enumerated a previously recognized
device.

> Thus, the following would only change the electrical
> form:
>
> eSATA - it changes the physical connector and cable,
> but doesn't make
> any other information change

your comments seem orthogonal to my experience with
my E-Sata device.

Ben