List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Another [OT] Hardware Post
From:       Erik Trimble <erik.trimble () oracle ! com>
Date:       2011-02-28 17:01:31

On 2/28/2011 2:14 AM, Bohdan Tashchuk wrote:
> > Here's how Intel does product differentiation:
> >
> > If the product is an "iN" something or other (e.g.
> > i3/i5/i7 or the
> > like), regardless of the underlying architecture, the
> > memory controller
> > DOES NOT support ECC.
> >
> > If the product is labeled "Xeon" something or other,
> > it DOES support ECC.
> To keep beating a dead horse, it is possible to get ECC in an Intel iN processor. \
> Here, for example, is a PDF from Intel with some details \
> http://download.intel.com/pressroom/kits/embedded/pdfs/Core_i5-660_Corei3-540.pdf \
> The relevant quote is " Error correcting code (ECC) memory is supported on both \
> processors when paired with the Intel 3450 chipset."
> So what's happening is that Intel wants everyone to think they must have a Xeon to \
> get ECC, but there are at least two Intel iN processors that support it. Of course \
> you need a corresponding motherboard to take advantage of ECC.
> I'm not sure of the practical value of the above, since, seeing as Sandy Bridge \
> stuff is either here or right around the corner, it would probably make sense to \
> see how Intel's Sandy Bridge ECC strategy settles out. From links previously posted \
> here, it looks like ECC will be much more widely supported on the new iN chips w/o \
> requiring a Xeon branding.

And, yet, according to ark.intel.com (which, tends to be authoritative
on their shipping products), there are *exactly TWO* "desktop"
processors that can support ECC.  Both are Celerons, neither are iN,
both are older, and really, both are embedded-only products. There are
several iN processors that support ECC, but they're all the "mobile"
version (which Intel also sells to the embedded market).

http://ark.intel.com/MySearch.aspx?s=t&ECCMemory=true

The "mobile" products are useless for this discussion, since you're not
going to find any sort of a motherboard that will take them. That is,
until you pay so much for the mobile/embedded motherboard that you
should have just gotten a Xeon/standard motherboard. Everything else is
a Xeon.  And I can't see any reason (or have any indication) for Intel
to change its tune.

In fact, the exact opposite. Many review sites are commenting on the
fact that the SandyBridge chips have several new features (extra Turbo,
lower power modes, etc), and Intel is doing product differentiation on
these features, too.  It seems as though if an Intel chip has M
features, Intel will produce a full M! combination of different models.
The reviewers were (in my view rightly) complaining that it's now very
hard as a consumer to pick the right CPU model, because figuring out
which features are in which CPU is completely non-obvious.  And, for
better or worse, for desktop/server use, ECC goes only with the Xeon brand.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support