List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Another [OT] Hardware Post
From:       ken mays <maybird1776 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2011-02-25 14:52:18

> Date: Friday, February 25, 2011, 8:04 AM
> On 02/25/11 04:23 AM, Orvar Korvar
> wrote:
> > I dont have a cluster or specialized hardware at home,
> to do heavy calculations. I can buy Nvidia card to do
> calculations,  but Solaris does not support OpenCL nor
> CUDA nor anything similar - as far as I know. To use graphic
> cards to do heavy calculation I need to switch OS to Linux
> with OpenCL, which is not an option.
> >
> > A question: If I buy Nvidia graphic card, and install
> Windows in VirtualBox together with 3D support - could I use
> OpenCL / CUDA / whatever in the Windows VM?

Ok, we may have gotten off track a bit. CUDA (and the like) are nice
for heavy lifting to GPUs. You can do this at home at a decent cost (much lower than \
I did several years ago).

The unofficial CUDA for Solaris port was done 3-4 years ago by John Martin (Oracle). \
He deserves that credit. No public release on record.

Now comparing the 3.4Ghz Sandy Bridge Core i7-2x00K versus a Nvidia GT 430 \
computability is kinda like getting into driving cars. Different strokes for \
different folks.

Back to your question, as said the Sandy Bridge graphics support is  forthcoming but \
depends on other features/updates to drivers and the libraries.

But for basic computability, you can run with a Sandy Bridge motherboard today with \
OI_148a/Sol-11x and super compute till your heart's content today! NO updates \
required.

~ Ken Mays