List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Another [OT] Hardware Post
From:       Orvar Korvar <knatte_fnatte_tjatte () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2011-02-25 1:23:05

I dont have a cluster or specialized hardware at home, to do heavy calculations. I \
can buy Nvidia card to do calculations,  but Solaris does not support OpenCL nor CUDA \
nor anything similar - as far as I know. To use graphic cards to do heavy calculation \
I need to switch OS to Linux with OpenCL, which is not an option.

A question: If I buy Nvidia graphic card, and install Windows in VirtualBox together \
with 3D support - could I use OpenCL / CUDA / whatever in the Windows VM?

Regarding i7 uses too much power, and i5 is better - i5 doesnt suit my needs. I want \
plenty of CPU power when I need to and it does not matter if the cpu sucks much power \
when I am doing heavy calculations. The rest of the time, when I dont do heavy \
calculations, I want it to idle at very low wattage. I basically want a cpu with low \
wattage in idle and when I surf the web. When I need to, I want to have plenty of \
power and in that case it it allowed to suck much wattage.

I would not like to have a weak cpu, and when I need to do some heavy work, I need to \
switch to another PC with a beefy CPU. Then I need two PC, one for web surf etc and \
one for heavy work. I want one PC, that has low power wattage in idle and surf the \
web, and plenty of muscles when the need rises. I suspect Sandybridge will idle at \
50W. Or maybe I wait for Ivy bridge...

Regarding the 3D driver for Sandybridge. Yesterday I got a mail from someone at \
Oracle writing: "We are planning on integrating 3D support for Sandybridge as soon as \
we get KMS support in." Thank you for this information! :o)