List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Need coaching about used equipment
From:       John Martin <john.m.martin () oracle ! com>
Date:       2011-01-13 15:57:01

On 01/12/11 08:58 PM, Erik Trimble wrote:

> If you care about video/audio, I'd look at the used workstation stuff.
> It has less hard drive bays, but better audio and video capacity.

FWIW, some (most?) newer NVIDIA cards come with an audio device that works
with the Solaris audio plumbing.  The audio stream is fed over the
DisplayPort or HDMI cable so you need a monitor that supports DP/HDMI
audio playback.

Also, some cards are available in a x1, LP form factor (e.g., NVS 300)
which can be used in motherboards without a x16 mechanical slot.