List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Is Solaris 11 dead on new desktops.  Core i5
From:       Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith () oracle ! com>
Date:       2010-12-08 18:33:59

Andrew Watkins wrote:
> I guess this type of error requires new intel drives which means that it
> will never be fixed, since Oracle will not ship Core i3/5 systems and so
> will not bother working on it.

Oracle continues to work with OEM's such as IBM, Dell, & HP that ship a much
wider range of hardware than Oracle does; as well as with companies like Intel,
AMD, & Nvidia which develop the components used in those systems; in order to
ensure Solaris works on their systems as well.

> Also, I guess since it requires Intel help then the OpenSolaris versions
> of Solaris will not get any fixes either. So, the question "Solaris 11
> is dead on desktops" is becoming true????

Nope.   There's always been and will always be issues with certain systems,
given the wide range of components and fast pace of change in the PC hardware
space.

--
	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith@oracle.com