List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] OT: Which is the best option: Nexentstor or
From:       Edward Martinez <mindbender_1 () live ! com>
Date:       2010-11-21 10:23:00

On 11/21/10 01:42, carlopmart wrote:
> On 11/21/2010 09:07 AM, Edward Martinez wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> First of all, sorry for the off-topic. I would like
>>>   to use a ZFS solution on my
>>> ome server to share vols/directories using iSCSI
>>> and/or NFS services between two
>>> ESXi hosts.
>>>
>>> In terms of performance, license and (free) support
>>>   which can be the best option:
>>> exentaStor CE or Solaris 11 Express??
>>>
>>>    Thanks.
>>> -
>>> CL Martinez
>>> carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com
>>>

>> Hi
>>
>> Solaris 11 express does not come with free support, I' not a lawyer,
>> but I don't think the license will be an issue for home use.
>>
>> I have been using nexenta core, the base of nexentastor, on couple
>> of my systems at home since april and it's stable,  i really like it.
>>
>> they offer  nexentastor community edition it is loaded with feature
>> and it's free to use:
>>
>> http://www.nexentastor.org/projects/site/wiki/CommunityEdition
>>

> Sorry for not clarify the issue of support. With support I meant to
> install patches and upgrades between releases, not a commercial support.

          Hi,

            The only one I know of that currently offers patches  is
solaris 11 ex, however, you would basically need to purchase a
contract,prices vary :

http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/solaris/non-sun-x86-081976.html

       Honestly for home use i don't think you would require
updates,patches since you wont be using it,let say, to do  billons of
dollars in transactions, or  running a data center
      I think either  nexentastor ce or sol 11, even opensolaris
snv_134b ex would be a good choice.

    Regards
    Edward