List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Newbie question : snapshots,
From:       Stephan Budach <stephan.budach () jvm ! de>
Date:       2010-10-30 8:39:48

Well, maybe you should have asked that question in the ZFS section of this forum, but \
anyway… ;)

The answer is dead simple: if there're no common snapshots between the two systems, \
then your're hosed as far as the incremental replication goes. The point is: you'll \
have to make sure that no needed snapshots are deleted if you haven't had a \
successful zfs send before.

I actually don't know the scripts that you are referring to, but I have written my \
own and I absolutely error out if something's not looking good. Previous snapshots \
will always only be deleted, if the actual zfs send/recv at hand has successfully \
passed - mind that!

I think the bottom line is: you need to understand what you're doing here, don't just \
trust the work of others, but either understand it and use it, or gather knowledge by \
working it out yourself. ZFS is the most powerful fs I have encountered, but it is \
also quite complex and the slightest error will have your strategy (you do have one, \
don't you?) blow up.

Cheers,
budy