List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Jumping ship.. what of the data
From:       Steven Acres <admin () swatteksystems ! com>
Date:       2010-10-28 6:27:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Tim Bell <tim.bell@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Tearing apart or reinstalling an existing machine before the next one
> > is up and ready is too terrifying for me to consider.  It may cost
> > more, but (IMO), hardware is cheap, and preserving that fallback
> > option is worth it.
>
> Sound like a smart choice.  I guess this is not the time to be a
> tightwad and try to go on the cheap.
>
> The only thing that would be able to be salvaged anyway is the case
> itself and  even a nice roomy one like the antec sonata I have, with a
> power supply, would be less than $200 I guess.

Hey,

Not sure why anyone would run Win natively and guest UNIX of their own
volition ... but hey, if someone has some data that supports that solution,
cool.

First consideration is _always_ backups. All the tools for storage are
included with 'Solaris.
Of course tar, rsync and friends are available (and a whack of solutions
based on these as well).

Externalizing your storage through a NAS/SAN would be an excellent direction
to pursue as well.
Hypervisors (Vmware and others) can make hardware available to guest(s)
certainly.

--
Cheers,

Steven
Steven Acres
Toronto OpenSolaris User Group <TOROSUG>
Leader
http://opensolaris.org/os/project/torosug