List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Merge other distros to OpenIndiana?
From:       Milan Jurik <Milan.Jurik () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2010-09-17 8:26:28

  Hi,

On 16.09.10 19:18, Jason wrote:
> I think part of that was the rather excessive amount of work just to
> get a usable build environment to be able to do that,

Installation of SXCE or OSol and running one script was "the rather
excessive amount of work"? Even before the script for installing SFE CBE
existed, it needed only few steps to do it manually.

> or in the case
> of jucr, its incredible opaqueness which made doing anything with it
> incredibly painful (I finally gave up myself).  If you make things
> hard (or take a lot more effort) for people that weren't on SWAN to do
> anything, it shouldn't be surprising no one else did anything...

spec-files-extra has nothing to do with SWAN. You can ask those who were
participating on it externally for years.

> Hopefully OpenIndiana is able to address those issues.

Well, as I see spec-files-extra imported to Illumos, I hope they will
contribute back to it and participate on it more and more. For last
couple of years I was hearing mostly excuses from both sides. But for
SFE the excuses from non-SUN people were invalid. SUN was not
controlling it and it was purely community work. Still the most of work
was/is done by SUN employees...

Best regards,

Milan