List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Merge other distros to OpenIndiana?
From:       "Jyri J. Virkki" <jyri () virkki ! com>
Date:       2010-09-17 7:32:32

Once upon a time Calum Benson wrote:
> Anyone who wanted to was always free to contribute such packages to
> OpenSolaris, via spec-files-extra and later, Source Juicer.  Not
> many people ever did, and of those, not everyone subsequently kept
> them up to date.  If OpenIndiana can find the people to port and
> maintain a large package library that Sun/Oracle never could, then
> fair play to them!

While technically it was "possible" to contribute external packages,
the various ways were so obscure and convoluted that one can hardly
blame anyone for not being able to go through with it. With my Web
Stack project this was a wall we constantly kept hitting. Interest
from users wanting to contribute was extremely high at every event I
attended, but it was just too ridiculously difficult so nothing ever
came of it.

Now that oracle has chosen to become irrelevant by abandoning all
developers, I have high hopes for Illumos and OpenIndiana on this
front..  Web Stack taught us a lot on what works and what can't, I'm
itching to contribute although life is so busy right now it's a bit
tricky, but time will tell...

--
Jyri J. Virkki - Santa Cruz, CA