List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Merge other distros to OpenIndiana?
From:       Calum Benson <calum.benson () oracle ! com>
Date:       2010-09-16 20:10:09

On 16 Sep 2010, at 19:38, joerg.schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de wrote:

> Calum Benson <calum.benson@oracle.com> wrote:
> >
> > Anyone who wanted to was always free to contribute such packages to OpenSolaris, \
> > via spec-files-extra and later, Source Juicer.  Not many people ever did, and of \
> > those, not everyone subsequently kept them up to date.  If OpenIndiana can find \
> > the people to port and maintain a large package library that Sun/Oracle never \
> > could, then fair play to them!
>
> The main problem with OpenSolaris under Sun was that it was close to
> impossible to contribute. This was not a problem from missing contributors but
> a problem caused by the was Sun did interact with contributors.

It was difficult to contribute to ON, I agree.  But it was very easy to contribute to \
spec-files-extra, which was hosted on SourceForge precisely so that anybody could \
contribute any packages they wanted to, without having to worry about signing \
contributor agreements etc.

It shouldn't really have been any harder to contribute to Source Juicer-- \
unfortunately, that just never really got the resources it needed to bring it up to a \
production quality build farm for external contributors.

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Oracle Corporation Ireland Ltd.
mailto:calum.benson@oracle.com         Solaris Desktop Team

Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those of Oracle Corp.