List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Merge other distros to OpenIndiana?
From:       Shawn Walker <shawn.walker () oracle ! com>
Date:       2010-09-16 17:50:50

On 09/16/10 05:00 AM, Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de wrote:
> "Richard L. Hamilton"<rlhamil@smart.net>  wrote:
>
>> Well...there are probably people that prefer for example
>> * traditional Solaris command set default vs GNU command set default
>
> This is why few Solaris users did accept Indiana.

Based on what data do you make that assertion?

>> * SVR4 packages vs IPS vs whatever packaging scheme Nexenta uses
>> (there too there's a problem, inasmuch as other tools like beadm and zonecfg
>> are also involved, although I gather it ought to be possible to come up with
>> different versions of them for each packaging scheme that some distro or
>> another uses)
>
> SVR4 packages support sparse zones, IPS does not.

The choice to not support sparse zones was a decision made by the zones
team; not by the packaging team.

>> But don't forget that the most commercial (i.e. developers that do it as
>> their day job) distro outside of Oracle is probably Nexenta, and they
>> do Debian-based packaging and command set.
>
> Commercial developers still use SVR4 packages

And I would expect them to until the image packaging system provides a
full set of documentation, and the man page no longer says "in development".

-Shawn