List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Merge other distros to OpenIndiana?
From:       Ashish Nabira <nabira () sun ! com>
Date:       2010-09-16 15:56:00

Hi Michael;

I agree with you completely.

I have made it work like that only. But the point is you have to go to
different repos for this. I have lot of such examples, which I
finished testing on Ubuntu and then deployed it on Opensolaris, with
help from Sunfreeware, blastwave etc. New users really find it tough.
This is just a suggestion.

I agree for Solaris developers, there are other priorities. If they
want more adoption, they have to make it simple for new users to learn
and test. Gnome is already there, IPS is there, make more packages
available and you see the adoption rate.

Ashish Nabira
Enterprise IT Architect
Email Ashish.Nabira@Sun.COM

On 16-Sep-10, at 6:49 PM, Michael wrote:

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Ashish Nabira <nabira@sun.com> wrote:
> I am talking about the number of pakages which are installable from
> repositories. Debian,Ubuntu have more than 30,000 pakages. I know
> most of
> them are not used by Server Admins. But new unix users do find it
> difficult
> to install pakages by compiling.
>
> For example in Ubuntu, you can try  the whole mail server(
> Postfix,Qmail,Exim etc) ,IMAP/POP, webmail, spamassasin, using Mysql
> backend
> very fast. In solaris I had to do it all by myself.

I don't know about these examples specifically, but did you look at
sunfreeware.com, blastwave.org and opencsw.org (and there's probably
others)? I'd be surprised if you couldn't find most of what you're
looking for there (in fact, I just found spamassin on blastwave at
first try ...).

HTH
Michael
--