List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] OpenIndiana - a new OpenSolaris Distribution!
From:       Alasdair Lumsden <alasdairrr () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-09-12 12:11:21

On 12 Sep 2010, at 12:57, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> Daniel Kjar <kjard_us@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Will it be compatible with the newest sunray software (srss 5 (4.2))?
>
> AFAIK, the Sunray server is closed source and cannot be redistributed.
>
> If this is true, the related code cannot be made part of a free distro.
>
> I believe the most important current problem is the fact that OpenSolaris is
> not yet self hosting. You cannot yet compile the ONNV code using freely
> redistributable and OSS based code. I am working on this problem and there will
> be a new SchilliX distro soon that allows to recompile ONNV or Illumos.

Hi Joerg,

I think Daniel meant "Can Sunray server be run on OpenIndiana", not "Can Sunray \
server be compiled and distributed with OpenIndiana".

The former is possible, the latter is obviously not since its closed source software.

In theory Oracle 11g database should run on OpenIndiana, for example.

Cheers,

Alasdair