List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] OpenSolaris cancelled,
From:       Erik Trimble <erik.trimble () oracle ! com>
Date:       2010-09-09 12:55:23

  On 9/9/2010 4:38 AM, Karel Gardas wrote:
> > And yes, POWER has a bleak future. It will die eventually.
> I'm afraid POWER has more shining future than SPARC unfortunately. Have you heard \
> anything about A2? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_A2 -- very good CPU on the \
> paper with ability to kill Niagara (based on pricing of course).

Last I'd heard, these were going to be competitive (if slightly better
in both single-threaded performance and per-watt performance) of the
Niagara T2+ series chips (i.e. what's in the T5xxx series).

That of course is dependent on me actually seeing one of these in a
system, which I have not yet done so.  And, of course, their value is in
how the T3 SPARC processor compares. Which I would expect to see in
actual systems about the same time, give or take.  Then again, I can't
say I have any more information about when either the T3 or the A2 will
actually be available.

The real question for the A2 is how it performs in each of the possible
categories:  IP/ethernet routing, crypto, general-use Integer, and
general-use FP, plus any special use (i.e. SSE-style) FP.   I have yet
to see any numbers on it.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support