List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] OpenSolaris cancelled,
From:       Octave Orgeron <unixconsole () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2010-09-09 4:51:26

Sadly, all OS vendors list big name companies as customers. Unfortunately, none
of them release installation counts. Speaking as someone who has worked in the
financial services industry and done consulting over the years, most fortune 500
companies have a little bit of everything. So just because they use Linux,
Solaris, AIX, HPUX, Windows, MacOS X, etc.. doesn't mean they run their whole
business on just one of those platforms. I still know of companies that have
things like OS/2 and PDP-11's running mission critical services. Just because
everyone has some Linux in their environment doesn't mean much at the end of the
day. The reality is that companies use different platforms for specific needs.
This is no different than software. Take a look at databases, some people use
Oracle DB, others use MS SQL or Sybase. Doesn't mean any one product will
satisfy everyone's needs. Solaris is still #1 in the commercial UNIX market. Red
Hat does well in the US, but not so well in the EU. Asia buys tons of Fujitsu
x86 and SPARC servers, but not much traction in the US market. Bottom line is
all platforms have a place in the industry, if not they wouldn't be making
money. Sun was making good money, just didn't know how to operate or market
itself properly against that income. Same problems that DEC had if you really
think about it. It'll take a money savvy company like Oracle to turn things
around and I think it will. It's not the pro-engineer, open source, give it all
way for free, company that Sun was, but it knows how to turn a profit.

Octave J. Orgeron
Solaris Virtualization Architect and Consultant
Web: http://unixconsole.blogspot.com
E-Mail: unixconsole@yahoo.com