List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] OpenSolaris cancelled,
From:       David Brodbeck <brodbd () u ! washington ! edu>
Date:       2010-09-08 17:13:19

On Sep 8, 2010, at 7:44 AM, usafverteran wrote:

> Businesses that use RHEL use their Satellite server and don't use kickstart and \
> other methods that are "free" because they want support.

They serve different functions.  The satellite server is used for centrally deploying \
software updates; kickstart is used for doing automated installations.

> And up2date?  Apparently you aren't very versed with RHEL.  That is an old version. \
> New versions of RHEL seem to constantly get new commands.

It was up2date up through RHEL4, then they switched to yum, which is a much more \
capable package manager.  It's a bit like Solaris's switch to IPS, except that the \
underlying package format stayed the same and only the management tool changed.  \
Frankly, up2date was a bit of a pain and I wasn't sad to see it go.  yum is a lot \
more flexible.

--

David Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics