List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] OpenSolaris cancelled,
From:       Mike Gerdts <mgerdts () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-09-08 12:24:00

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 7:10 AM, usafverteran <usafv@yahoo.com> wrote:
> That is nonsense and just tabloid talk.
>
> IBM just recently announced AIX 7 for their POWER 7 server line.  Linux cannot in \
> any way use the full capabilities of POWER architecture the way it is exploited \
> with AIX.  If IBM was to eliminate AIX, they would have to also kill their POWER \
> architecture, which isn't going to happen.
> Their POWER servers have a good margin and they make money from them.  There are \
> also very large companies that run AIX and have no intention to turn over their \
> AIX-powered servers to Linux on cheap x86 hardware.
> Linux doesn't have anywhere near the features that AIX can boast about.  RHEL \
> clustering is a joke at best, and Xen virtualization clustering on RHEL is about as \
> pathetic as one can get.  There isn't any way I would entrust my company to RHEL \
> for mission critical workloads.  Absolutely not.
> There is a complete fabrication that Linux is cheaper than AIX or Solaris.  Well, \
> if I want to setup an infrastructure to patch, install, and maintain servers, it \
> won't cost me any money to use NIM or JumpStart.  However, to get those features \
> with Red Hat Satellite server, you will pay hundreds per machine.  So if you have \
> 1000 servers you need to provision with RHEL, then you just spent $600,000 - \
> $700,000.  When they come out with KVM in RHEL 6, if you want to manage them it \
> will cost you a few hundred more per virtual.  EVERY time one turns around, Red Hat \
> is charging for some "feature" that is free with AIX.

The analog to Jumpstart is Kickstart.  Kickstart is free.  On x86
hardware, a typical network-based installation consists of PXE (DHCP +
TFTP) + HTTP, FTP, and/or NFS.  There are options for doing it purely
from a CD/DVD and other non-network media.  It is free and has been
part of the OS for over a decade.  This is starting to sound rather
like Jumpstart, isn't it?

From 2000:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-6-Manual/ref-guide/

From 2010:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6-Beta/html/Installation_Guide/ch-kickstart2.html

The up2date and/or similar commands have been around for a long time
to automatically patch (upgrade RPMs).  Sun's free options have varied
over time and from my experience have been more of a PITA than
up2date.

I still prefer Solaris.  I'm just calling BS on this argument.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/