List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] OpenSolaris cancelled,
From:       Jason <jason () ansipunx ! net>
Date:       2010-09-08 3:10:31

It would be a marked departure from their past behavior.

If you look at most of their products, they are almost all merely
means to get you to buy an RDBMS license.  The whole appliance concept
pretty much falls into that as well.  The concept of a general purpose
OS does not (I suppose they could always make SMF use Oracle as the
storage backend, or otherwise weld it in there somehow, but that would
probably be pushing it).

Their past behavior of substantially increasing license costs for
acquired products also would tend to make Solaris less attractive as a
general purpose OS if they repeat themselves here as well (those that
can will go to Linux to run stuff that doesn't come from Oracle).