List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] SchilliX-0.7.1 based on b147+ available
From:       Joerg.Schilling () fokus ! fraunhofer ! de (Joerg Schilling)
Date:       2010-09-01 11:59:38

William Bauer <bqbauer@gmail.com> wrote:

> There doesn't seem to be any information available about Schillix--at least I \
> haven't found any.  What is the goal of this distribution?  Is twm the only window \
> manager?  If so, I suspect this is aimed for server versus desktop use, or you're \
> really stuck on twm!
> I couldn't even log in until I saw your post here with the default password.  Do \
> you have a web site I'm missing?

Well, this is a change that was made by Sun in the past, it is no longer
possible to log in without a passwd. I could have encrypted an empty string,
but I preferred to make an easy to guess (root/root) default.

SchillIX since June 2005 is a base distribution, that intends to supply a base
for development and installation of more software.

If you like to install more software, go e.g. to Blastwave.

If you see problems with the window managers in that software, make a bug
report against the related Blastwave package.

The next milestone for SchillIX is to deliver an Illumos based system, then to
allow to compile Illumos on SchillIX. Once this has been achieved, we have a
self hosting platform that could be called mature.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)