List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Indiana - what comes closest to it?
From:       Matthias =?iso-8859-1?Q?Pf=FCtzner?= <Matthias () Pfuetzner ! DE>
Date:       2010-08-31 10:24:00

You (Ian Collins) wrote:
> On 08/31/10 03:52 AM, Matthias Pfützner wrote:
>> Right, but in all cases, Oracle never really announced stuff so much in
>> advance as Sun did... So, that's a change in external behaviour, but not
>> necessarily an indication of a different underlying attitude towards the
>> product Solaris itself...
>>

> Let's just hope for their sake they understand the OS platform market and
> its flow of information is way different from the database market.
>
> It is very hard and very expensive to migrate a business from one database
> platform to another, so customers are effectively locked in.  One of my
> clients is spending many man years and a small fortune doing this.
>
> It is comparatively easy and cheap to swap OS and hardware.  The further
> customers can see what's coming to plan ahead the less likely they are to
> move.
>
> --
> Ian.

I'm more than with you with that one! "Does the OS matter?" was/is a topic of
discussion, and it's very different from DBs. Still, Oracle is Oracle... We
have to wait and see!

(Standard disclaimer: All said here is my own opinion, and does not reflect
nor is influenced by Oracle!)

    Matthias
--
Matthias Pfützner | Tel.: +49 700 PFUETZNER      | In Darmstadt läuft EHNIX,
Lichtenbergstr.73 | mailto:Matthias@Pfuetzner.DE | und das verdammt stabil.