List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Indiana - what comes closest to it?
From:       Stefan Mueller-Wilken <stefan.mueller-wilken () acando ! de>
Date:       2010-08-31 3:01:33

> > I think we all should put our foot down and support
> illumos
>
> I couldn't find an install cd but I guess here's the
> project build -
> http://trochejen.blogspot.com/2010/08/illumos-building
> -instructions.html -

Well, and finally here's my original problem boiled down to two sentences:

a) You (or at least I) don't really want a Linux distribution with a Solaris kernel

b) There... is... no... Illumos... distribution! There never will be one, as it \
stands. Illumos is only the ON part to Solaris, bootable in the future if you're \
lucky. And there's a delta missing between ON and Indiana (aka OpenSolaris). Just as \
there is a delta between Indiana and full blown Solaris 10 / Solaris 11. Call it a \
niche product but it's something I personally find attractive to have something \
between both and am still searching.

So, ladies and gentlemen: where is the alternative?

Cheers
 Stefan