List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Indiana - what comes closest to it?
From:       Ian Collins <ian () ianshome ! com>
Date:       2010-08-30 21:04:51

On 08/31/10 03:52 AM, Matthias Pfützner wrote:
> Right, but in all cases, Oracle never really announced stuff so much in
> advance as Sun did... So, that's a change in external behaviour, but not
> necessarily an indication of a different underlying attitude towards the
> product Solaris itself...

Let's just hope for their sake they understand the OS platform market
and its flow of information is way different from the database market.

It is very hard and very expensive to migrate a business from one
database platform to another, so customers are effectively locked in.
One of my clients is spending many man years and a small fortune doing this.

It is comparatively easy and cheap to swap OS and hardware.  The further
customers can see what's coming to plan ahead the less likely they are
to move.

--
Ian.