List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Indiana - what comes closest to it?
From:       Constantin Gonzalez <constantin.gonzalez () oracle ! com>
Date:       2010-08-30 15:47:17

Hi Stefan,

<disclaimer>I'm an Oracle employee, everything I say here is my personal
opinion though, I'm not speaking for my company.</disclaimer>

> is there any channel you don't monitor these days? When do you actually
> sleep? :-)

I have a degree from Sun in high volume email scanning :).

> Well, at least with Xvm/Xen, that could be difficult facing the fact that
> Oracle has dropped that in favor of OVM, no? And xVM might be only
> programmatic for what most people fear: decisions that are purely led by
> economical aspects and not by technological concerns. What comes next?
> Restrict the number of cores or amount of addressable memory on the
> community edition?

Oracle VM is not a bad product. But I agree it could be improved by adding
more Solaris guts to it.

> Well, you have to admit that Oracle's licensing scheme in other parts of
> the empire tends to be somewhat restrictive wrt. to under what
> circumstances you're eligible to use the software. That's what I like about
> OSOL - no risk whatsoever to run into underlicensing situations etc.. Can
> you guarantee that for SX(I)CE?

One of the lesser known features of Oracle VM is that it's free:

   http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/virtualization/oraclevm/index.html

As for Solaris 10 (and presumably its successor):

- Yes, you need a license and a support contract to run it in production.

- No, you don't need to pay for it if you're doing an evaluation or
   development.

It is more restrictive than the OpenSolaris binary distribution used to be,
but it IMHO is permissive enough in a fair way for everybody who derives any
value from Solaris as a technology:

- As a developer, you get to try out, learn and develop cool stuff.

- As a business, you get to profit from its advanced features, provided
   you share some of your profits with the people that created Solaris in the
   first place.

Cheers,
    Constantin

--

Constantin Gonzalez Schmitz, Sales Consultant,
Oracle Hardware Presales Germany

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the
environment