List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] upcoming web event:strategy for Oracle's Sun
From:       ken mays <maybird1776 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2010-08-11 14:49:49

--- On Wed, 8/11/10, Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith@oracle.com> wrote:
> development of opensolaris.
> > > Some
> know.  But they're
> > > diverting
> to make *damn* sure they
> > > My calender still says 2010, not 2011, or did you
> miss that part of the
> > > webcast?
> >
> > Not sure what you're talking about.  I never
> suggested solaris 11 would be delayed into 2011.
>
> John Fowler clearly stated during the webcast that Solaris
> 11 was scheduled
> to ship in 2011.  This was repeated in all the
> articles I've seen, including
> some you mentioned in your other
> posts.   You are the only one imagining a
> 2010 ship date for it.   Even the 140
> character summary from Oracle marketing
> was clear about that:
>
> http://twitter.com/Oracle/status/20806524667
>
> --
> -Alan Coopersmith-

Major chalkboard points noted:

1. Dropping AMD servers for Intel-based servers.
2. Upscaling SPARC server roadmap to 128 cores and 64TB of memory by Y2015.
3. Solaris 11 will ship next year - Y2011.
4. Merge of Sun's Ops Center system management software and Oracle's Enterprise \
Manager software into a single product by Y2012. 5.  Ultrasparc T3 processor

"To be the #1 enterprise OS in Y2011, you'll release something superior than what \
already exists in Y2010..."

~ Ken Mays