List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] SchilliX-0.7.0 ready for testing
From:       Edward Ned Harvey <shill () nedharvey ! com>
Date:       2010-07-28 13:41:36

> From: Joerg Schilling [mailto:Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de]
>
> > Joerg, I'm going to recommend xz instead of (or in addition to)
> bzip2.  It's
> > much faster and compresses better.  My experience is 2x faster and 2x
> better
> > compression.
> >
> > Oh - Specifically if you use compression level 1.
> > xz -1 SchilliX-0.7.0.iso
>
> Well nice to see that finally someone did create a 7z based tool that
> is compliant to the standard compress CLI that is able to correctly
> operate on
> pipes.
>
> I was looking for such a beast for star since aprox. 4 years.
> I added support for automated recognition to the next version of star.
>
> If I would use xz, I would need to put the source into
> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/schillix/ for convenience as I expect few
> people
> to have it already.

I have been very pleasantly surprised with the availability - Even the sol10
CD includes 7z by default, which is not xz, but it is using lzma behind the
scenes.

There was the "lzma utils" project, which went through lzma1 and lzma2,
before they decided to rename and rebuild it "xz" for some reason ... And
now they're on the verge of releasing xz 5.0 ... but it has been 4.999 since
over a year already ... It's used in the installer apps for some commercial
tools I deploy (xilinx) ... it's built-in to rpm ... and dpkg ... and gnu
tar ... and they're using .xz for the linux kernel now instead of (or in
addition to) bzImage ...

cygwin is distributed in xz format.  They included xz and gzip by default,
maybe bzip2, but not zip/unzip.

xz is available in blastwave and opencsw ...
I easily fetched rpm's for centos/rhel ...
I built it from source on every platform I could find, and not the slightest
difficulty ...
There's a python module ...

I'll recommend putting up a couple of pointers, endorsing blastwave,
opencsw, epel, and maybe a couple of other locations, in addition to a link
to xz-utils directly.  But I don't think you need to do anything special in
terms of building or distributing source.