List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] OGB Threatens to Shoot Itself In The Head
From:       ken mays <maybird1776 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2010-07-13 14:24:16

--- On Tue, 7/13/10, Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> If Oracle is willing to arrange the flight and trip, I am
> sure that we will
> get at least 4 OGB members to this panel.
>
> Oracle would however need to contact the OGB before August
> 16th anyway.
>

> 1)    They claim to have a plan, so they
> could share it with the OGB.
>
> 2)    We would need to arrange the travel
>
> Jörg

Ok, I'll reference the OGB's last meeting: \
http://wiki.genunix.org:8080/wiki/index.php/2010_07_12_OGB_Agenda "Motion by Neale \
Ferguson: The OGB is keen to promote the uptake and open development of OpenSolaris \
and to work on behalf of the community with Oracle, as such the OGB needs Oracle to \
appoint a liaison by August 16, 2010, who has the authority to talk about the future \
of OpenSolaris and its interaction with the OpenSolaris community. Otherwise the OGB \
will take action at the August 23 meeting to trigger the clause in the OGB charter \
                that will return control of the community to Oracle.
John will communicate this to the community and to Jeb (edit: Sr. VP) at Oracle. \
Simon will pass on information to his contacts. "

Well, the Oracle OpenWorld conference meetings seem to provide the panel
to create the liasons and get the information from the key high-level players about \
'the future' in a 'face-to-face' format. I'd jest "the OGB can not wait another 30 \
days" from the proposed date of mutiny?!? That is a poke, not a jab. ;o)

The OGB states: "...that we the OGB collectively resign our OGB status no later than \
the 31st of July 2010.... Meetings will be suspended until August 16, unless \
conversations occur between OGB and Oracle that enables a meeting. "

Well, I can understand the OGB's frustration and delirium. Many previous
distributions and open source projects have faced similar issues like this one - with \
or without corporate sponsorship or funding. I could offer a proposal, but let me \
know if its 'High Noon at the OGB Corral' or if this is still a discussable issue for \
resolution.

~ Ken Mays