List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Solaris/Opensolaris, for a Server, or Desktop?
From:       Ken Mays <maybird1776 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2010-07-06 15:24:04

Hi Ed,

The desktop environments used on OpenSolaris-based distros are only a few points \
behind the best commercial Linux/BSD desktop products (i.e. mainly due to number of \
device drivers supported and ported apps).

Otherwise, someone pointed out a particular not that server roles usually are defined \
by servicing >=2 users per OS instance. The core kernel is the same - just adjusted \
to meet a higher workload or response rate - if needed.

All of the major tools you mentioned ARE available on Solaris (or ported shortly).
The work falls mainly under the desktop-discuss group for desktop applications and \
environments. Compiz, Transmission (BitTorrent), and all the things you said are \
missing have been ported and implemented for years (or by other individuals - in \
progress).

This may fall into the FUD/troll camp as most users know that the OpenSolaris project \
has some of the best implemented modern FOSS UNIX desktop environments and many of us \
maintain porting the FreeDesktop.org products.

Also supports WiFi, OpenSSL/SSH, Kerberos V, and firewall management. as for \
calendars, we use SunBird with Thunderbird/Firefox. You can use MS Office and OutLook \
with Wine. No big deal there. Somebody did Mulberry and Ical awhile ago.

> "Hardware compatibility for audio/video is a problem for sol/osol.  Not very good \
> at 3D.  Not compatible with lots of webcams and microphone devices and cameras etc. \
> And printers."

Nvidia has one of the best 3D OpenGL implementations and their latest device drivers \
are available on Solaris 10/Opensolaris.

All of the other things you mentioned are not true if you know much about Mac OS X \
and BSD/Linux in general. Theer are some good books and websites on that comment so I \
won't dig deep into it here. Just update the required libs and your problems will \
start to go away.

By the way, one of Sun's engineers (i.e. Darren Kenny ) advocated this topic about \
4-5 years ago in this wiki: \
http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+jds/desktop_gaps

A lot of things were resolved since then.... but some things may be still valid. I'll \
let you speculate and read up on that note!! (smile)

~ Ken Mays