List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Sun Software Product Map- opensolaris not
From:       ken mays <maybird1776 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2010-06-10 14:06:15

Hi Giovanni,

Well, like whom? Also, what do 'we' want the roadmap to propose to us?
We already have the "new features" web pages from OpenSoalris 2009.06 to 2010.06, \
updates from the Oracle Xorg team, Sun Studio compiler team notes, and ON flag days \
info. If you spin up the other projects and communities - much of the 'OpenSolaris \
roadmap' is already on the whiteboard.

Many of the Oracle Sun engineers have commented on
both the status of OpenSolaris (see OpenSolaris IRC and past emails)
and Oracle's corporate position on future outlook.

Oracle has a support roadmap for OpenSolaris last I checked as well as
for the legacy Sun products. The old OpenSolaris 2009.06 main support was
ending somewhere around Y2012 and finally ending in Y2014.

Oracle has mentioned that OpenSolaris project is the building block to Oracle Solaris \
11 (which was just an unspecific arrangement of raindrops at the moment). Many \
features added and few features dropped - but nothing set in stone or really defined \
yet to the public. All you see is the proposed notes from the "What's New for \
OpenSolaris 2010.06" web pages and updates from the new Sun Studio Compiler Express. \
A few other other notes sprinkled elsewhere may give clues and certain  OpenSolaris \
projects being maintained or updated.

The OpenSolaris project will exist for now - at least until the next  Oracle Solaris \
11 product becomes a reality.

One point I like to make is that the real "OpenSolaris" community concern should \
exist around the availability and valid compiling of the core OpenSolaris kernel \
environment. Can you get a "working" compiled kernel  snapshot as of today based on \
snv_142 using GCC/Sun Studio - which in turn work on a larger distro like Milak or \
EON? As long as Oracle is providing the OpenSolaris kernel and the updates to it, the \
road only needs to direct us to Oracle Solaris 11 from that point. The OpenSolaris \
distro is just a collection of compilable raindrops - of projects and proposed \
features.

Sidenote: Even in small corporations, you can't maintain a staff of engineers and \
technicians with just pizza and soda (hey, those were the days). They have to at \
least be able to afford Internet connectivity and overhead expenses like bus/train \
fare. So best way to get help is either talk to the available Oracle engineers \
willing to chat and help - or grab yourself an Oracle Account Manager with an \
Etch-A-Sketch.

Shake often,
~ Ken Mays