List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] OpenSolaris & SATA disks...
From:       Marion Hakanson <hakansom () ohsu ! edu>
Date:       2010-04-30 18:47:54

Matthias@Pfuetzner.DE said:
> So, a couple  questions from this:
> 1.) When will AHCI support the NM10 chipset?
> 2.) Is there a negative effect if the SATA disks connected to those ports only
>     run as IDE (aka cmdk driver?)
> 3.) Could I force the NM10 chipset to always treat disks as AHCI by attaching
>     the AHCI driver to the NM10 chipset, in case the BIOS does not allow to
>     set AHCI for those two ports?

I can only answer (2);  From experience on Solaris-10, and from what I've
read about others experiences on OpenSolaris, the cmdk (pci-ide) driver's
main deficiency is that it does not support hot-plug for SATA drives.

I believe that cmdk does not support NCQ, but that may or may not affect
performance, depending on your workload.  I have not noticed any performance
issues with my cmdk-attached SATA drives, they do not seem to operate
noticeably slower than drives on mpt or AHCI controllers.

Regards,

Marion