List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] [osol-code] source code for specific builds
From:       "James C. McPherson" <James.McPherson () oracle ! com>
Date:       2010-04-30 11:17:55

On 30/04/10 12:59 AM, Dennis Clarke wrote:

> Pardon the top post but old Sun Convergence is hardly user friendly sometimes :-)
>
> Re : http://dlc.sun.com/osol/on/downloads/b138/
> So then, six days later now. I have seen this :
>    http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/website-discuss/2010-April/006490.html
> Which seems to indicate that the downloads for closed bits of snv_138 are
 > held back due to a server not being in a rack ? Is that what I am to
 > understand ? Strangely I can see snv_137 but not snv_138. Clearly this
 > is not the same server unless it does quantum mechanical http tunnel
 > through air connections from where ever it may be.
> No problem, please feel free to publish those bits to the community run
 > genunix.org server and then you won't have these pesky delays again due
 > to some server not being in a rack.
> If license is the issue then just grab any server that is currently still
 > up and publishing files for download. After all, this is a "community"
 > based project and I am sure that in a "community" we can get a simple
 > web server up and running for people to get key components that are
 > needed to build OpenSolaris(tm) based distros right ?
> Or, am I missing something ?

You are missing two pieces:

(1) The way we get files from inside the firewall to dlc.sun.com
    is through a staging server. It's this system which has been down
    for a larger chunk of time than anticipated.

(2)

#       #######  #####     #    #
#       #       #     #   # #   #
#       #       #        #   #  #
#       #####   #  #### #     # #
#       #       #     # ####### #
#       #       #     # #     # #
####### #######  #####  #     # #######

We have Requirements which we *must* meet before files can be
sent outside the firewall. Simply saying "oh, just dump it on
genunix.org" ignores the reality of the system under which we
are able to operate.

Remember, this isn't just a bunch of people with no corporate
oversight doing whatever, this is a community where a large
component of the people who provide the code have constraints
placed on what is permitted by corporate lawyers, corporate
policies and even the US SEC (and other SEC-equivalents).

You don't screw around with those constraints.

James C. McPherson
--
Senior Software Engineer, Solaris
Oracle