List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Installed OS now Win7 won't hibernate?
From:       Svein Skogen <svein () stillbilde ! net>
Date:       2010-04-28 21:05:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On 28.04.2010 22:53, Kyle McDonald wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When I originally installed my laptop last time, I put OS in a
> partition, and it booted fine with grub. I also loaded Win7 X64 in a
> second partition, and as MS is known to do it rewrote the MBR and made
> itself the active partition. I ended up using Win7 mostly for the past
> few months and didn't need to boot into OS at all, so I never put grub
> back in the MBR. During this time Win7 had no problem Hibernating.
>
> Recently I actually installed OS b134 into that first partition, and it
> put grub back for me. I edited the grub file so that booting Win7 works
> great, now I can go back and forth.
>
> But I noticed pretty quickly that now when I'm booted in Win7 and
> request it to hibernate, it goes through the motions, but end up just
> basically locking the screen and staying awake - Almost like it
> hibernated and then automatically woke up.
>
> I'm wondering if Win7 might have noticed that the MBR changed? Maybe it
> needs to have a specific MBR in order to track something about hibernation?
>
> Anyone else seen anything like this? Anyone know how to maybe get Win7
> to put what ever it needs at the beginning of it's partition, instead of
> in the MBR?
>
>   -Kyle

Disable hibernation in windows, reboot, delete the c:\hiberfil.sys file,
re-enable hibernation, reboot, and try again.

//Svein

--
--------+-------------------+-------------------------------
  /"\   |Svein Skogen       | svein@d80.iso100.no
        |                   | svein@stillbilde.net
 ascii  |                   | PGP Key:  0x58CD33B6
 ribbon |System Admin       | svein-listmail@stillbilde.net
Campaign|stillbilde.net     | PGP Key:  0x22D494A4
        |msn messenger:     | Mobile Phone: +47 907 03 575
        |svein@jernhuset.no | RIPE handle:    SS16503-RIPE
         If you really are in a hurry, mail me at
               svein-mobile@stillbilde.net
 This mailbox goes directly to my cellphone and is checked
        even when I'm not in front of my computer.
                     Picture Gallery:
          https://gallery.stillbilde.net/v/svein/