List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] In iSCSI hell...
From:       Ron Mexico <ronmexico () mailinator ! com>
Date:       2010-04-27 13:41:16

> could it be that the problem is located at the SAS
> side? it look that mpt driver is complaining. This
> should be on the LSI HBA side.

I RMA-ed both HBAs. After installing new ones in the system the problem persisted. \
Since all disks were online and no zpools showed errors, I assumed it was a problem \
with the disk backplane on one of the two Supermicro SC846E2 chassis installed on \
this system. The first chassis I tested of this model had a dead slot in it, so a \
defect wasn't out of the question. I RMA-ed the chassis, swapped it out, and the \
problem was still there. Argh!

To make a long story short, the problem was solved by pulling out the disk in slot \
27. Doh. The only thing that indicated there might be an issue with the drive was \
that its activity LED would stay lit for several seconds after all other disk \
activity stopped. No problems were reported in zpool status or in the HBA bios \
utility.

After much Googling, it appears that there are issues with the mpt driver and \
OpenSolaris. That notwithstanding, since pulling that drive out I've had no problems, \
save for three log entries that say "Log info 0x31130000 received for target 35." I'm \
keeping an eye on that drive. So far, it hasn't complained after four days of heavy \
use.

One other weird thing: The raidz3 pool with slot 27 in it has two hot spares with \
autoreplace enabled, but no auto resilver occured when I pulled the drive out. What's \
                up with that?