List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] [trademark-policy-dev]
From:       Marty Duey <Marty.Duey () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2007-10-31 21:19:34

On 10/31/2007 2:42 PM, Ceri Davies wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 12:08:12PM -0600, Jon Trulson wrote:

>>>How about trying to prove that there is no such harm?
>>>

>>   How could that possibly be done?
>>

>>>It is obvious that if Sun calls a distro "OpenSolaris", many people believe
>>>that this is the one and only.
>>>

>>   FWIW, as a third party that develops software on Solaris, I would
>>   welcome an 'OpenSolaris Reference' distribution.
>>
>>   Without it, we would be forced to choose one or two of the dists
>>   available to try to officially support, much as we have to do now on
>>   Linux.
>

> There's your example of harm; Jon Trulson would be supporting only
> the reference distribution and not the other distros.  This can be
> expected to hold true for others. [1]
>
> Ceri
>
> [1] This can, of course, be seen to be a good thing for ISVs, but that's
>      not the question which was one of harm to other distros.

I think you're reaching.  As has been stated numerous times throughout
the thread today, what end users decide to run as their
OpenSolaris-based distro will determine which distro(s) an ISV has to
support.  On the other hand, if ISVs like Jon qualify a "reference"
distribution then ti should be easier to offer support to derivative
distros as well.  Certainly easier than is the case in Linux-land today.

Marty