List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    [osol-discuss] Re: Companion CD [ was: KDE, GNOME, etc. ]
From:       maybird1776 () yahoo ! com (ken mays)
Date:       2005-12-25 17:04:10

--- Glynn Foster <Glynn.Foster@Sun.COM> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> On Sat, 2005-12-24 at 16:51 -0500, Paul Gress wrote:
> > I thought the great thing about Stefan's KDE build
> was that it was
> > compiled using Sun Studio compilers.  You plan to
> take this away?  Maybe
> > it's harder, but couldn't you try compiling the
> Companion CD environment
> > with Sun Studio?
>
> Little steps dudes - let's get the sources out there
> first [1], and then
> start working on getting it built with Sun Studio.
> Part of the delay in
> releasing them is that people are trying to solve
> world hunger first,
> rather than taking a progressive evolution when we
> get the community
> live and kicking.
>

> Glynn

The greatest thing is that we ended this year with not
only JDS being upgraded to GNOME 2.12.2, but KDE
getting more and more support on Solaris. I've pretty
much been spinning out the GNOME 2.12.2 binaries for
Solaris SPARC/x86, and there are a few people starting
to build the new release of JDS as I type this. This
is a lot of progress from the JDS team and many people
involved in the desktop group. Champange and sparkling
cider for everyone!

World hunger? Well, if it suddenly rained popcorn from
the ski - would EVERYONE be happy then?!? Ok, I think
with the modern Unix desktops we at least have decent
choices for most people - KDE and GNOME/JDS. We have
the latest K3B DVD/CD burner available on Solaris and
more apps and powertools on the way. What I love about
the updated JDS and KDE work this is something that
can be shown in Sun training classrooms and
OpenSolaris meetings. A highly marketable aspect for
Sun, as well as the Looking Glass project for certain
markets.

~ Ken Mays