List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    OpenSolairis a choice for the government desktop? // Re:
From:       Glynn.Foster () Sun ! COM (Glynn Foster)
Date:       2005-12-18 17:49:04

Hi,

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 02:21 +0100, Felix Schulte wrote:
> I do not know the exact details. As far as I know its partially a
> political decision as KDE's main development body sits in Europe and
> Europe likes to focus on European developments.

This is interesting, because in actual fact GNOME is pretty European
focused in terms of development as well -

http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/random/GnomeWorldWideHuge.jpg

While the GNOME Foundation may be a non-profit US organization, it is
only responsible for making sure the project has the resources it needs
to be successful in the future.

> Another reason stated
> by the people who do the open source desktop transition for the German
> parliament on the LinuxTag this year was that Gnome is considered
> "inferior" compared to the functionality delivered with KDE after an
> eight month evaluation period (using Suse Linux as operating system).
> Spain had similar arguments, but for the exact reasons you may ask
> (ex-)Suse Hubert Mantel.

I suspect it's more likely to be the people pushing for the Linux
deployments are KDE users. As you mention KDE is pretty popular in
Germany [and maybe other places] - so much so that all the main Linux
magazines over there really only concentrate on KDE articles. That may
be where some of the bias comes from.

I bet the first thing they do with the deployments is lock down most of
the desktop, so that you can't see most of that 'superior'
functionality. I've seen that in GNOME deployments before, and I imagine
it's the same for KDE to make 'functionality' a somewhat moot point.

Glynn