List:       opensolaris-desktop-discuss
Subject:    Re: [desktop-discuss] XFCE-4.8.0 ported
From:       Guido Berhoerster <guido+opensolaris.org () berhoerster ! name>
Date:       2011-04-08 12:23:08

* Ken Mays <maybird1776@yahoo.com> [2011-04-07 23:32]:
> Hello all,
>
> Ref:
> XFCE Goodies: http://goodies.xfce.org
> XFCE 4.8.0 Announcement: http://www.xfce.org/about/news/?post=1295136000
> XFCE 4.8 Tour: http://xfce.org/about/tour
>
> XFCE-4.8.0 was successfully ported by Guido Berhoerster (gber) - a lead developer \
> and packager for XFCE working for the OpenSolaris-based OpenIndiana distribution \
> project. I'm supporting Guido in reviewing many bugfixes, stability improvements, \
> and enhanced performance on Solaris-based platforms.

Most of the credit for making Xfce work goes to the Xfce
developers who have invested some effort into ensuring
portability to the Solaris platform. It was also Milan Jurik who
imported and updated the spec files from the opensolaris.org Xfce
project into SFE.

> The XFCE 4.8.0 binaries currently work on OpenIndiana Build 148 and Solaris 11 \
> Express!!

Currently only the latest git version builds cleanly, a few
patches need to be backported in order to build the latest
released Xfce components.

> I am currently reviewing the latest plugins and work from the XFCE Goodies project \
> (ie. Eatmonkey, Parole, Gigolo, Ristetto, Xfburn, Dictionary, DateTime, Midori, \
> etc) as well as Rodent - a fast, small and powerful file manager.
> I decided to use both Shotwell and Parole for digital photo organization and \
> management.
> Overall, XFCE 4.8.0 is very lightweight on system resources and works quite well on \
> Sunray deployments. XFCE 4.8.0 works very well on x86 OpenSolaris-based platforms \
> using Intel/Nvidia-based GPUs and Compiz enabled.
> Problems know in this release:
> - Thunar-volman needed pending Solaris-specific integration work.
>
> XFCE 4.8.0 binary packages are part of a future IPS update and custom distribution \
> through the OI project.

The specfiles in SFE still require some polish but I'd be happy
to assist Ken or any other volunteer who wants to maintain an IPS
repo providing the latest Xfce desktop.

--
Guido Berhoerster