List:       opensolaris-desktop-discuss
Subject:    Re: [desktop-discuss] Future of Solaris on the desktop?
From:       Brian Cameron <brian.cameron () oracle ! com>
Date:       2010-12-31 5:36:23

William:

> I have not filed a bug about the XFCE monitoring issue, although I'm afraid
> I'd have to verify that the issue is still in 4.6 or 4.8 since that is the
> latest release, and I currently don't have the time to upgrade us (the alt
> environments we use are all compiled and packaged by us).  Also, I think the
> monitoring may be intentional behavior, even if it tends to be something you
> don't want on Sun Ray (IIRC, PulseAudio also has the same problem when used
> with Sun Ray on unsupported Linux platforms).

Actually 4.6.2 is the latest supported XFCE release.  There is a 4.7
development release, and I do not see a 4.8 release at all.  Even if you
are not using the latest release, it should not be a problem to file a
bug.  I am sure the maintainers will just simply close it if it has
already been addressed.  As a maintainer, I know that I would prefer to
close a few extra bugs rather than not be alerted about issues that
are causing issues for users.  So I would still recommend filing a bug
even if you are not using the latest supported release.

Even if the monitoring is intentional behavior, it would be good to
alert the maintainers that this issue exists so they can consider
possible solutions, or possibly to make the behavior configurable so it
can work better in Sun Ray and other environments where this behavior
would cause problems.

For that matter, filing a bug at bugs.freedesktop.org about PulseAudio
would also be a good idea if you notice it does not work well with Sun
Ray on Linux.  As I said before, bugs likely will not get fixed if we
do not report them.

Brian