List:       opensolaris-desktop-discuss
Subject:    Re: [desktop-discuss] Songbird 1.10.0a-1922 and Moovida 1.0.9
From:       Brian Cameron <brian.cameron () oracle ! com>
Date:       2010-12-15 16:03:15

Ken/Others:

On 12/15/10 08:08 AM, Ken Mays wrote:
> SongBird is still being ported to Linux, Mac, Windows. Albert Lee mentioned \
> SongBird package removal for the snv_156 consolidation release.
> Latest: Songbird_1.10.0a (build 1922)
> Stable: Songbird 1.8.0 (build 1800)
> IPS Pkg Build: Songbird 1.4.3
>
> You can also use Moovida 1.0.9.

Note that both Moovida Songbird have been removed from build 156.
Both were removed because the upstream community no longer provides
good support for UNIX.

Moovida:

   Note moovida 1.0.9 is now called "Moovida Classic" and is no longer
   actively maintained:

   http://www.moovida.com/download/moovidaclassic/

Songbird:

   http://blog.songbirdnest.com/2010/04/02/songbird-singing-a-new-tune/

   While I do understand that there has been a Nightengale fork of
   Songbird, there would be significant work adding it back to Solaris.
   Since it is a fork, it would need to go through ARC review, legal
   review, etc.

   The main engineer who was working at Oracle on Songbird left the
   company a while ago, so I would think there would need to be some
   significant customer demand to find new resources to tackle all this
   work.  If there is enough community interest in helping with this,
   we can discuss adding it back.  Somebody adding a spec-file to the
   spec-files-extra repository would be a good first step.

In the meantime, I recommend using either totem or rhythmbox to
play media on Solaris.

Brian