List:       opensolaris-desktop-discuss
Subject:    Re: [desktop-discuss] Quad core or two Dual cores?
From:       Nathan Kroenert <nathan () tuneunix ! com>
Date:       2009-09-30 8:42:16

Orvar Korvar wrote:
> Thanks for your answers! I am in the process of planning a new server. I am \
> thinking about one octo/hexa core intel. Or two socket with quad cores. Just for \
> general usage. Nothing special. I dont really know which I should go for. One \
> octo/hexa core or two Quads. Just wanted your input on this matter. What should I \
> choose? One beefy CPU with many cores, or two smaller. Just for general usage. And \
> SunRay serving.
Ah -

With all that in mind, it's much clearer...

For a home / muck around box, I go with whatever will get me where I
want to be as cheap as I can.

I have to say I'm loving my Phenom-II box at the moment. Was cheap, has
4 cores @ 3Ghz and works really well -0 and would eat up the the stuff
you have discussed (depending on just how many sunrays you wanted to
serve...)

The last box I put together ran about $1000 Aussie (no monitor) and it's
awesome.

> )

But- if you had the bucks, one of those quad core core i7 xeons would be
pretty cool...

heh