List:       opensolaris-desktop-discuss
Subject:    [desktop-discuss] gdm start freezes system after LU from snv122be
From:       Gary Mills <mills () cc ! umanitoba ! ca>
Date:       2009-09-26 11:12:41

This morning I did a Live Upgrade from snv122be to snv123be on my
AMD workstation.  The reboot was uneventful except for the expected
tpm_attach messages.  However, when the svc:/application/graphical-login/gdm:default
service started, the system froze just as the login screen appeared.  It was unresponsive
to keyboard, mouse, or remote network traffic.  Only a reset would get it going
again.

I was able to add an `exit' to /lib/svc/method/svc-gdm so that gdm wouldn't
start.  After that, I was able to boot snv123be and log in remotely.  The machine
was perfectly usable until I ran /usr/sbin/gdm manually.  Within a few seconds,
it froze again.

This workstation has a video card in a PCIe slot.  `scanpci' shows this:

pci bus 0x0001 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x10de device 0x0163
 nVidia Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200 LE]

I believe the vidio card uses MSI interrupts.  It all worked under snv122be.