List:       opensolaris-desktop-discuss
Subject:    [desktop-discuss] Enabling Assistive Technologies in OpenSolaris
From:       Joanmarie Diggs <joanmarie.diggs () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-19 9:09:11

Hi all.

On the four systems on which I've updated to build 107 (from 106), I've
discovered that merely enabling Assistive Technologies (but not actively
using them) is sufficient to grind the desktop to a nearly complete
halt. By 'nearly complete' I mean that the amount of time between a
keypress or mouse click and an object appearing fully rendered is
typically in the ballpark of 4 to 5 minutes. Given that the problems
begin upon login and that all of these are bare metal installs on
machines with decent processors and 4 GB RAM (with the exception of the
box with 8 GB), I'm thinking it's not my hardware....

Quickly glancing at the info I get out of gnome-system-monitor, I'm not
seeing any unusual spikes in anything. Using ssh to connect to an
affected system continues to be performant.... Looking over the release
notes, I initially wondered if the addition of mousetweaks might have
something to do with the issue, but mousetweaks is not even installed by
default. And surely this isn't related to the Xorg changes (right???).

I plan to take this opportunity to apply the system administration info
from my new OpenSolaris Bible to a practical problem. :-) But right now
it's 4 AM and the problem is really, really bad so I figured I'd toss it
out there to y'all in the meantime.

Take care.
--joanie