List:       opensolaris-desktop-discuss
Subject:    [desktop-discuss] serious gvfsd-trash issue
From:       Lin Ma <Lin.Ma () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2008-03-31 7:57:40

I found the recent builds -- Vermillion 85, 86 there is a serious issue
about gvfsd-trash, it will recursively scan (stat(2)) all TRASH
directories on all mounted topdirs (spec  is located at
http://www.ramendik.ru/docs/trashspec.html). Unfortunately in our swan
most auto-mount path are the ZFS filesystems which usually represent a
couple of layered mount points in /etc/mnttab. While gvfsd-trash will
try forking extra processes to scan those mount points and trigger more
ZFS mount points that finally created hundreds of gvfsd-trash processes
and slow down the system.

I'm not sure if anyone found this problem. My investigation is
gvfsd-trash processes are communicating with pipes, in my box, the
opened pipes seem broken and are ignored by gvfsd-trash. Maybe a SIGPIPE
detection is enough for the fix or maybe the TRASH spec need be reworked.

This should be a ZFS special case and should be definitely a stopper if
it is a common case.

Thanks,
lin

--